Saturday, March 26, 2016

Day 40: Saturday: Like the water

What I am learning to give you is my death
to set you free of me, and me from myself
into the dark and the new light. Like the water
of a deep stream, love is always too much. We
did not make it. Though we drink till we burst
we cannot have it all, or want it all.
In its abundance it survives our thirst.
In the evening we come down to the shore
to drink our fill, and sleep, while it
flows through the regions of the dark.
It does not hold us, except we keep returning
to its rich waters thirsty. We enter,
willing to die, into the commonwealth of its joy.

Do you experience love as abundance or drought? How was this reflected in your experience of baptism? Has anything changed? Pray that you might know God’s abundant love.


New Collected Poems
'Like the Water' by Wendell Berry New Collected Poems (Berkeley: Counterpoint, 2012), 168-9.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...