Friday, March 25, 2016

Day 39: Friday: Reduced to rubble

… on my baptismal day all those years ago, nobody – not even great-aunt Ginny – who worried about us going to hell unless we were saved – acknowledged that anything out of the way had happened to me. The uncles joked and taunted as usual; the aunts told stories; the children played and fought in the grass the same way they always had, and thus, by such baffling, painful indifference my experience of my baptism (though not my baptism itself) was reduced to rubble.

How did those around you respond to your baptism? Were they delighted? Indifferent? Angered? How did their responses affect your experience? Tell God about it.

Houses: Family Memoir of Grace
Reading from Roberta C. Bondi Houses. A Family Memoir of Grace (Nashville: Abingdon, 2000), 80.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...