Friday, March 11, 2016

Day 27: Friday: It was enough

When I was baptised
   there was no River Jordan,
   just a dented tub in an ugly room.

There was no hairy prophet,
   but a smooth-skinned man
   who told me to read Tillich first.

God’s voice didn’t thunder.
The heavens stayed resolutely shut.
Not even a small bird floated down from the skies.

Coming up from the waters
   I felt silly, adolescent,
   awkward, strange.

No more sure of God’s love
   or my direction
   or my self.

Yet somehow, in all its smallness,
   it was enough.

Was your experience of baptism euphoric or pedestrian? Solemn or silly? Give thanks that, whatever your experience, it was enough.


Reflection by me, Alison Sampson, South Yarra Community Baptist Church, 10 January 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...