Thursday, January 21, 2016

God or taxes?

So a friend told me a few things and began to weep, and another friend saw us and said, “Hey, are you alright?” “Not really,” said the first, “but I’ll have a coffee and a cigarette and pull myself together.”

“Shall I sit with you?” I asked.

“Whoa!” said the second friend, “watch out for those Baptist ministers! I’m going to the city to do my taxes, wanna come?”

“Sounds like it’s God or taxes…,” I said, laughing.

“Right now,” said the first, “I probably need a bit of God.”

***

We didn’t specifically talk about God. We talked about work and kids and exhaustion and suffering and hope and love and karma. We talked about the future, and some of our dreams. I didn’t fix anything. Mostly I just held the space and listened. My job is simple, but some people find it threatening, so maybe it’s time I tell you just what we ministers do: Often, it’s no more than being ready to listen when someone chooses God over taxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...